Saturday, July 9, 2011

Photo Class ... Part 2

Last February, when I bought my SLR camera, I took my first “mommy-and-me” photo class (see previous post “First Photo Class” and “First Photo Shoot”). The same photography school was giving a follow-up class this summer, at the park, where you learn how to take better photos outside, working with the natural light. The schedule didn’t work with Emma’s napping time so my mother and I are taking it as a private class. The first class was Friday; we met with the teacher, Marie-Claude, at the nearby Angrignon Park. The first class is always more technical, you need to understand the basics before practicing your newly acquired knowledge. Emma was an angel! We had a big Mexican blanket spread under a tree, gave her some Cheerios and she was super nice and quiet.




My weakness is how to use the focal ratio (aperture) correctly. I usually leave the aperture on automatic, using the “S” or “P” mode (which is like semi-manual) and only playing around with shutter speeds and ISO. She had to explain it to me 4 times before I really got it. I took a few practice shots during the class but when I came home and looked at them on my computer, they weren’t as good as I thought they would be.


 

This morning, Emma was playing outside on the deck so I practice some more and I’m finally getting somewhere.






Can’t wait to next week! We will be strolling around the park, learning how to use the natural lighting outside. It’ll be a busy week: a lot of cake making, photo taking and baby-pool swimming... all week long!

No comments:

Post a Comment