Monday, July 18, 2011

Fondant

A few weeks ago, I decided that the next cake I would make would be made with fondant (note: read the word “fondant” with a snotty French accent). Since my brother Eli’s birthday was set to be celebrated at my house, I decided he would get my first fondant cake. To me, fondant looked very difficult and I was super scared of messing it up so I decided to make a test cake one week earlier.


I had so much fun making that cake and I was pleased with the result. As it turns out, the fondant wasn’t that difficult to handle! I made butter cream icing for the very first time and it even tasted good! My cake testers liked it and one of them (my mother) liked it enough to order one for a birthday party she was hosting last Saturday. Yikes! I now had TWO fondant cakes to make in 2 days!
Cake number one was for of Emily and Jonathan’s Birthday, and they enjoy fishing, so I made a vanilla “Fish” cake with vanilla butter cream:

For my brother’s birthday cake, I wanted to make something really original. He plays soccer every week and his soccer team is number one in their division so I figured a soccer theme was a good start. I wanted to make a replica of his soccer jersey on the cake. But how would I get a clear picture of his jersey? My wonderful sister-in-law came through! She had to dig in the dirty (and stinky) laundry basket to take a web-cam pic of the still sweaty and wet soccer jersey... Sneaky.
The team is called FC Doré. The logo is golden (doré in French) and portrays a pike (also a doré in French) with a moustache (like the one my brother has!). I know what you are thinking... don’t ask. Here’s my masterpiece:




As always, Emma had fun and enjoyed her baby pool. Actually, everybody enjoyed her baby pools! J




1 comment:

  1. en fait, c'est un doré avec la moustache de jean doré! ;)

    ReplyDelete