Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New camera!

I got my new camera! Yay! I’m so excited! I’ve been shopping around for the best “beginners” camera and I finally decided for a Nikon 3100. My husband was able to get a great deal on the price through his work so we ordered it on Monday and were told that it would take 2 days to ship to his office. I was bummed because my photo class is on Tuesday afternoon and it wouldn’t receive it on time.  One hour before my class, Anil arrived from work ... with my camera! I was so happy! It was delivered this morning and he left work early so that I could have my camera for the class. Unfortunately the battery needed to be charged so I did most of the class with the loaner Canon Rebel but the teacher took some extra time to help me set it up when the class was over.
I learned a lot today during the class and it’s not always easy with Emma to take care of at the same time, although she was very cooperative today. The first thing we learned was how to use the speeds. I learned that whenever I want to take a photo of a baby, my speed needs to be of 1/60 or else it would turn out blurry. Ha! But with higher speed comes the need for high luminosity so we learned about using the ISO as well. Then, we went over the focal ratio (aperture) briefly. I can’t wait to start testing my new knowledge. I’ll probably end up taking a lot of ugly, blurry photos at first (!).
Next week is our first photo shoot. I can’t wait! I have to decide which outfit I will bring for Emma; if you have any good ideas let me know! The only time we had an “official” photo shoot of her was when she was 5 weeks old at Magenta and she was mostly naked for those pictures. Until then I’ll be trying my new camera, taking lots of pictures and practising what we learned in the class. After that I’ll be able to start on my list of things to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment