Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First Photo Shoot

Today was the best day ever! I’ve been waiting for it all week since we were to have our first “studio photo shoot”. I had chose Emma’s clothes in advance and was very excited about the whole thing.
First of all, I woke at 6am to realize that Emma had slept through the night ... let me say this again ... she slept through the night!!!! Then my wonderful husband said I could go back to bed so I slept until 10am! On my way to the photo class, I stopped by our mail box to find out that I had finally received my package from Lychee Baby (http://www.etsy.com/shop/LimePiranha). The sense-ploration blanket and baby-legs are awesome!
When I arrived at the photo class, Emma was napping in her car seat. Eric, the teacher, was setting up the equipment (white back-ground, flash kit and props). We were 6 mommies so we would go one by one and take two turns each. All 6 of us were working with a SLR so Eric told us to adjust our camera for a studio photo shoot: manual setting, ISO100, speed of 1/125, focal ratio at F11 and lens at 55mm. One of the goals for the photo shoot was to learn about “the rules of thirds” a.k.a. how to frame.  After each turn he reviewed our photos with us for some feed-back.
When it was my turn I changed Emma’s clothes for a really cute red velvet ballerina outfit. Eric showed me how to put the trigger on my Nikon and told me how to position myself to get the best shots. I chose to have Emma sitting on the fake fur blanket at first. Then I switched her in the basket for more photos and my first turn was over. She was awesome! She kept smiling and was very easy-going about the whole thing.
While waiting for my second turn he reviewed my first round of pics but he didn’t have too much to say since they were so good. It’s easy to take good pictures when you have such an awesome model ;) For the second turn, I dressed her in jeans and a pink hoodie. After a few shots I decided to add the bunny ears and the flowers. The problem was that Emma no longer wanted to look at me for the pictures, she just wanted to eat the flowers (!). We made a few more changes and our second turn was over. I’m very proud of the pictures. I have several very nice ones and they look very good. I’m now almost convinced to buy my own studio flash kit.
Here’s a few shots from today’s shoot, enjoy!









5 comments:

  1. Eve, they are BEAUTIFUL!!! You're a pro already! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are beautiful!

    What kind of flash kit did they set you up with? We had a studio session last week, but all of the equipment they showed us was super expensive. I'm looking for a flash setup that's within reach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessica!
    Honestly, I don't know what kind of flash kit it was but I'll ask him next week when I have my next class because I would love to buy one for myself. He said it was worth about 1000$ but that you could get it for 500-800$ used. I'll let you know as soon as I'll find out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea to look for a used flash kit! I'm going to check out Craigs List by me to see if anybody has anything. I've been trying to use the natural light, but it's been so cloudy and gray here.

    The flash thing we used was insane! The battery for the system cost $400! WTF?!?!

    ReplyDelete