Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Cake!

After baking a Bruins cake last month, I told Anil that if the Bruins won the Stanley Cup I would make a Stanley Cup cake. The un-thinkable happened and after 39 years the Boston Bruins finally won another Stanley Cup!

I’m slowly building my cake decorating stash but I wasn’t ready to decorate a cake with fondant so I decided to go with icing again. The first step was to buy the ingredients and the decorating supplies for the cake. I have to admit that I’m lazy and I didn’t make the actual cake from scratch. I bought Duncan Hines cake mix because I actually think that it tastes better than some “homemade” cakes.

The second step was to bake the cake. My first attempt was an epic failure; I wasn’t used to the cake pan and I ended up overcooking it. When I took it out of the oven it was a huge mess. Noob.

My second attempt was much more successful. I was angry at the “white cake” mix for not cooperating during my first attempt, so I used “spice cake” mix for the second attempt.

The third step was to cover the cake with vanilla icing.

The fourth step was to make a stencil of a Stanley Cup on a 18X12 paper sheet. This was the only way to make sure that my Stanley Cup didn’t look a Stanley Bowl. That was actually the hardest part.

Step number five was to decorate the cake. That was the fun part. However, it turns out that you can’t buy gray decorating icing (why??) so I had to mix white and black decorating icing together and add some silver pearl dust to the mixture... Tricky!





The sixth and most important step was... EATING THE CAKE!! Once again, Emma thought I did an amazing job. I love that baby!

Next time I’ll tackle fondant. I’ve never used fondant before so it should be interesting! Let’s see, whose birthday is next?  

1 comment: