Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dandelions

When I was a child, I loved dandelions. What’s not to love about them? They are bright yellow and usually when there’s one, there’s a bunch of them.  As far as I know, every child loves dandelions.



I stopped loving them in May last year, when I discovered that the front lawn of the house we had moved in the previous fall had a serious dandelion problem. But then I was 8 months pregnant, swollen and unable to do anything about it except nurture my growing hatred for them.

Anil had started removing them, one by one, but after a few weeks of weed pulling, the early arrival of Emma stopped our (but mostly, my) dandelion killing-spree frenzy.

I had forgotten about my dandelion problem until a few weeks ago when they returned with a vengeance...

 


The funny thing is the problem only exists in our front lawn. The back is (almost) dandelion-free!




The other “funny” thing is that I’m the only one that seems to have the dandelion curse. None of my neighbours have them on the front lawn. You can clearly see the line of where my neighbour’s lawn starts!



I was never a “lawn-kinda-person”. My mother thought dandelions were pretty and always let them spread when I used to live at her house. Now that I own a house and am about to go berserk with my hatred for weeds, I found myself visiting the hardware store and bought all the tools necessary to win the turf war happening on my front lawn. I am fully equipped. I will not rest until my lawn no longer looks like it has been taken over by yellow invaders.

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. I love your house! It looks like you live in a story book. we used to pick dandelions as kids and would made perfume. I'd tell you the recipe but then I'd have to kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL now I want that recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture looks like a movie...everyone with their barrels out in the same exact place...very Stepford Wives-ish. LOL. You have a BEAUTIFUL house, Eve. I would take that house with pissenlits everywhere over our house!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete