Sunday, March 13, 2011

81 years old




I even got some photos of “mommy-and-me”



The four generations


Later on, we went back to our house and played some board games. Emma discovered that she loves Dominos.


I’ve been taking photos for a few weeks now with my new camera and I’m starting to realize what type of photo I prefer; simple and very organic: no flash, only natural light, no zoom (most of my photos  are 50-55mm), no special effects, no retouching. I don’t like to retouch my photos. I might crop them a bit to remove a stray hand or nose (!) but I don’t like to alter my photo. From my point of view, a photo is a still shot of exactly what I saw at that particular moment and if I alter it, it’s a little bit like lying to my eyes. If the photo I took is not satisfactory, I try to figure out what I did wrong, make a mental note for the next time and delete it. I guess that makes me old-school. SLR cameras, compared to compact cameras, have the uniqueness of taking photos “in-real-time”. What you see in your visor is exactly what the naked eye sees (through the mirror of the mechanism), and I feel like I’m cheating when I modify it.  My next purchase will be a 50mm lens because that’s the kind of photo I like to take. One day, I will buy Photoshop and get Lucas to show me how to use it, but I’m not ready yet J



My grand-mother, Emma’s great-grand-mother and also my godmother, turned 81 years old last week. 81 years old! She’s still in very good health and gets to play with Emma every week when we visit her and my grand-father. Yesterday, we went for a family brunch to celebrate her great joy of being healthy and surrounded by her family on her 81st birthday. I feel incredibly blessed that Emma gets to know her. She took care of me all my life and some of my best memories as a child involve her. Emma also got to interact, for the first time, with her two cousins, William and Kevin. They’re the sons of my cousin Natacha, whom I don’t get to see often, so it was really cool for them to meet.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet!!! I LOVE Emma, she's so adorable. Happy birthday to your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On va avoir plein de belles photos pour chacunes de nos réunions de famille à venir! Yeah!

    Voici mes 3 photos préférées : celle où Bernard et Emma rient, l'avant dernière et celle avec moi, bien sûr!

    ReplyDelete