Monday, September 5, 2011

It’s my birthday!

This year I decided to make my own birthday cake!


I figured that since I was about to begin attending decorating classes, it would be a good idea to get as much practice as possible. I wanted to make the cake from scratch, something I don’t usually do, and also pick an unusual flavour. After browsing several websites and recipe books, I chose a cherry cake with marzipan frosting recipe from a cooking magazine. I followed the recipe to the “T” but as soon as I put the batter in the cake pans, I knew something was wrong. It didn’t look, smell or taste right. I baked it anyways and it was horrible! That is what I call an epic fail!

After some more browsing and another trip to the grocery store, I took on a “brown sugar” cake. Thankfully, the second attempt was much more successful than the first, and I was able to go to bed with the cake frosted, though not yet decorated. I spent the morning of my birthday decorating the cake with fondant and a set of “baroque” mould that I had just purchased. Although the cake wasn’t perfect (it had one tear), I was pretty happy with it overall.






The weather was hardly ideal, it was very humid with rain & thunderstorm, but we were still able to go outside for a bit to play with Emma in our backyard. All and all, it was a great day with a nice dinner with my family.




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! Youre cake is as gorgeous as your family! Emma is getting so big, all that hair! Beautiful! So glad you had such a great birthday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cake! And, I love the family pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks awesome!! was it delicious????

    ReplyDelete